Communication should be in English when students communicate with teachers and when teachers communicate with students and/or parents.
Our desire is for students to learn and communicate in English. Research has shown that people become multilingual, when heart language and English are developed at the same time but not necessarily the same rate. We require English be used in our classrooms.
- Parent-teacher conferences in November
- Students are not expected to participate in the conference
- Parents are asked to sign up
- Parents are expected to regularly view their child’s online portfolio through Seesaw.
- Parent-teacher conferences in April
- Last week of April, Monday to Thursday from 3:00 pm
- Parents will be invited to sign up
- Conferences will be 10-15 between parents and teachers
Emergency - School closures
In an emergency we communicate mainly through our website.
- Are sent via email twice a year in January and June
Over the course of elementary school students are developing into independent learners. Our utmost concern is that they are meeting the grade level expectations. At the same time we encourage students to go beyond and to expand their understanding and skills in various creative ways. Student work that demonstrates achievement that is over and above what we expect will be noted by teachers in the comments of the report card.
- We will use a grading scale of the numbers 4, 3, 2, 1 to assess student achievement in subject areas:
- 4: Meets grade level expectations
- 3: Approaching grade level expectations
- 2: Only with teacher guidance, approaching grade level expectations
- 1: Below grade level expectations, area of concern
Students who have a CAJ email are expected to check it daily.
- Families should read the bulletin daily
- Teachers will send out weekly newsletters to parents
- The principal will send out periodic newsletters to parents